Robert D'Arista, Monotype

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Katy Murray

Katy Murray was a Washington, DC artist whom I met and became friends with while I was a graduate student at American University. I admired her loose, gestural way of constructing the figure, the way she worked her way across the whole figure in the first few seconds, laying down the tracks of her eyes' movement to which she would  repeatedly returnto refine or revise. We worked out a trade of our artwork. I went to her studio one afternoon with my work in hand.  She had several stacks of drawings, each one about a foot high, which represents many hundreds of drawings that she had executed over several years. Sadly, Katy died a few years ago after  battling cancer. This is just a small part of what she dis as an artist, but it was an integral part of her practice to draw weekly from the model.




No comments:

Post a Comment